Now the Official Chiropractic Physician of the Austintown School District!
All athletes and their families are encouraged to contact Dr. Raymond with any questions or concerns.
Chiropractic is an excellent adjunct to any sports regimen. Through the use of highly specific and safe spinal and extremity adjustive techniques, physical therapies, therapeutic exercises and stretches, dietary and nutritional counseling and correction of biomechanical faults – athletes can experience increased performance and reduced risk of injury. Chiropractic care can increase range of motion, flexibility, balance, coordination, joint proprioception, body symmetry, agility, reaction times, speed, and kinesthetic awareness – all essential to the serious athlete.
Chiropractic care is not only exceptional in the treatment of acute and chronic injuries but is equally successful in preventing future injuries when regular care is received. Why is chiropractic care so effective in sports? Simply, chiropractic focuses on the cause of the deficiency or injury and not just the symptoms. All sports experts agree that pain relief alone in the management of sports injuries is not enough. Only treatments like chiropractic which deal with all aspects of the athlete – sufficient warm-up, proper technique, correct biomechanics, proper conditioning, optimizing balance and coordination, optimizing reaction times, correct management of existing injuries, optimal diet and nutrition, adequate rest, positive mental attitude, etc. – will allow the athlete to excel and avoid detrimental injury.
Services & Modalities
Spinal & Extremity Manipulation
- Promotesincreased range of motion, flexibility, balance, coordination, joint proprioception, body symmetry, agility, reaction times, speed, and kinesthetic awareness
- Involves taping over and around muscles in order to assist and give support or to prevent over-contraction while still maintaining full range of motion. This enables the individual to participate in their normal physical activity with functional assistance.
- Most commonly used in the acute stage of rehabilitation, helps prevent overuse or over-contraction and helps provide facilitation of lymph flow for an entire 24 hour period.
- Correctional techniques include mechanical, lymphatic, ligament/tendon, fascia, space and functional. Kinesio Tape can be used in conjunction with other therapies, including cryotherapy, hydrotherapy, massage therapy, and electrical stimulation.
- Kinesio Taping affects the activation of the neurological system, the body’s information processor and the circulatory system.
Electrical Muscle Stimulation
- used for the relaxation of muscle spasms, increasing range of motion, reduction and prevention of muscle atrophy, reeducation of muscles, increasing local blood circulation and relief from minor pain (joint pains, muscle aches, etc.) and stress.
- Increases blood flow to speed healing, reduces swelling and edema, gently massages muscles, tendons and ligaments and softens scar tissue.
Trigger Point Therapy
- Using sustained pressure, swelling and stiffness is reduced, range of motion is increased, and flexibility and coordination are improved.
- Utilized with acute conditions to reduce bleeding, swelling, muscles spasm and metabolic rates.
Professional players are demanding top-notch care.
- Wade Boggs, after winning baseball’s World Series with the New York Yankees, was traded to the expansion team, the Arizona Diamondbacks. However, Boggs would not agree to the trade until the Diamondbacks signed a chiropractic physician to the team.
- Tiger Woods is another example of what the benefits of chiropractic care can offer an athlete. Tiger Woods states, “lifting weights and seeing a chiropractor on a regular basis has made me a better golfer.”
- Barry Bonds is another avid proponent of chiropractic care. He has been under chiropractic care since 1993. “Your body is being treated like it is supposed to be with chiropractic care” stated Bonds. He recommends that every athlete should have some contact with a chiropractor.
The list goes on and on.
- Mark McGuire
- Arnold Schwartzenegger
- Charles Barkley
- Evander Holyfield
- John Smoltz
- Trevor Hoffman
- Irving Fryar
- Fred Funk
- Jose Canseco
- U.S. Olympic Team all use chiropractic care.
These are just a few of current and Hall of Fame athletes that support chiropractic care in athletics.
Chiropractic care has made great strides both on and off the field. As you can see, many world-class athletes, college and professional teams implement chiropractic care in their lives.